ISURA is an independent, non-profit analytical testing and certification organization backed by a Scientific Advisory Committee of world-renowned experts. ISURA is committed to championing the NHP industry by helping it produce science-based products that stand up to its harshest critics.
ISURA’s mandate is to serve as a resource and provide certification services for NHP industry stakeholders with a goal of:
- Augmenting the safety of NHPs
- Ensuring label accuracy
- Increasing consumers’ confidence in NHPs
- Supporting research and development for improved test methodologies and analytical equipment
HIGH TESTING STANDARDS
The standards for ISURA’s certification services for NHPs are among the world’s highest. They meet or exceed international standards for natural health products set by organizations such as:
- ABC (American Botanical Council)
- CFIA (Canadian Food Inspection Agency)
- CRN (Council for Responsible Nutrition)
- EU (European Union)
- FDA (United States Food and Drug Administration)
- HC (Health Canada: NNHPD)
- TGA (Therapeutic Goods of Administration of Australia)
- USP (United States Pharmacopeia)
- WHO (World Health Organization)
ISURA is an ISO 9001 certified organization adhering to rigorous Quality Management System standards and its laboratories meet ISO 17025 laboratory standards and strict Standards Council of Canada guidelines for laboratories.
NEXT GENERATION TESTING TODAY
ISURA laboratories lie at the core of ISURA. Its in-house test centre takes a comprehensive approach to product analysis and uses a combination of state-of-the-art high-performance equipment to confirm authenticity, detect 400+ known pesticide and solvent contaminants to the level of parts per billion (ppb), and much more:
- High-performance liquid chromatography
- Gas chromatography
- Mass spectrometry:
¨ Headspace gas chromatography
¨ Gas chromatography triple-quadrupole
¨ Ultra-high performance liquid chromatography triple-quadrupole
¨ Inductively-coupled plasma
- Real-time polymerase chain reaction (qPCR) detects genetically modified (GMO) or genetically engineered (GE) plant materials. ISURA has one of the most stringent GMO threshold standards at 0.1% or less.
Our full-spectrum certification platform introduces greater accountability in the natural health product industry, increased confidence in the industry, and a higher level of informed choice for consumers.
R&D – HERBAL BOTANICALS
ISURA is advocating with government regulators, academics, and the NHP industry to advance more rigorous testing methodologies that are accurate, reliable, and accessible.
ISURA and the National Research Council of Canada are partnering on a current research project focused on utilizing chemical barcoding to authenticate herbal ingredients. And, ISURA is developing new User Authenticated Research Materials (uARM) to provide robust reference standards for herbal botanicals.
The ISURA Seal of Approval is a scientific analytical testing-based certification and emblematic of the trust that consumers can exercise in ISURA-certified products. It is only granted to products that have undergone and passed ISURA’s stringent battery of laboratory tests to confirm that a product’s actives and excipients are:
- Non-GMO compliant
- Contaminant free
- Adulterant free
- Accurately and inclusively labelled